Diabetic Foot Care

Diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions in the United States. During the past decade, there has been and increase of 33% with the diabetic population currently topping 1.6 million people.  Diabetes is a condition in which excessively high glucose levels in the blood can jeopardize the health of the liver, eyes, kidneys and blood vessels. One of the potential effects of diabetes is a weakened immune system rendering the body unable to effectively fight off infections. Additionally, the disease often leads to serious problems with the feet.

One common way that diabetics encounter foot problems is due to a damaged nervous system. Weakened nervous systems are not able to effectively convey messages from the feet, leading to an inability for the patient to feel the feet. This also impairs normal sweat secretion and oil production in the feet, leading to abnormal pressure on the feet during walking and skin problems that often result in sores.

Due to the suppression of the immune response in diabetics, the body is often unable to heal these wounds. If left untreated bacterial infections can lead to gangrene, which may require amputation to ensure that the infection does not spread to other parts of the body.

If you suffer from diabetes, it is crucial that you ensure foot health by working with your doctor to reduce the likelihood of infection and quickly treat any infection that arises. Contact us today to learn how we can help you protect your feet for a lifetime.

Medicare Diabetic Shoe Program

We are authorized Medicare Suppliers to evaluate, prescribe and dispense high quality shoes and 3 pairs of removable shoe inserts per calendar year.  Many diabetic patients qualify for this benefit and Medicare will pay 80% of the cost for the shoes and insoles.  Your Supplemental insurance may pay the other 20%.

Butler Podiatrist | Butler Diabetic Foot Care | PA | Michaele A. Crawford, DPM, LLC |


Find Us on Map

No form settings found. Please configure it.